Skip to main content

Darlington, Undated

 File
Identifier: 2006.012.darlington

Scope and Contents

Materials not otherwise housed elsewhere dealing with the Darlington Agency near El Reno, Oklahoma.

Dates

  • Undated

Access

This material is open for research use by any registered reader.

Biographical / Historical

The Darlington Agency was an Indian agency on the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian Reservation in Canadian County, Oklahoma. The agency was established in 1870, when the agency established at Fort Supply the previous year was moved to a more accessible location for the tribes. Brinton Darlington, a Quaker for whom the agency was named, was the first agent at the agency, a position he held until his death in 1872. The agency gained a post office and an Indian school run by John Homer Seger, and it became a stop on the Chisholm Trail. [a] By 1880, the agency had its own newspaper, the Cheyenne Transporter; it was the first in western Oklahoma. The Cheyenne left to form their own agency at Concho in 1897; when the Arapaho reunited with them, they both occupied the Concho agency, and the Darlington Agency became the property of the State of Oklahoma. The Masons used the site for a boarding school and retirement home until 1922; the state then briefly used the site as a drug rehabilitation center before making it the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation's main bird hatchery and research station.

Extent

3 items

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Richard Tenney papers, Undated (1974-007), and Unknown.

Related Materials

Other collections with Darlington materials are Papers of the Robertson and Worcester families, 1815-1932 (1931-001) and the Postcard collection, Undated (1976-023).

Repository Details

Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository

Contact:
McFarlin Library
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 US US
918-631-2496
918-631-5022 (Fax)