John Davenport collection of Malcolm Lowry, 1926-1966
Scope and Contents
Grouped into correspondence and writings. The correspondence consists of handwritten and typed letter and postcards between a) John Davenport (Lowry's friend and executor) and publishers, colleagues and friends of Malcolm Lowry; b) between Malcolm Lowry and Carol Brown, his belle of the 1920s; c) between Marjerie Bonner Lowry (Mrs. Malcolm Lowry) and John Davenport; d) one handwritten letter fragment from [John Davenport] to Lowry which includes a 10-line poem about gonorrhea. The writings consist of handwritten drafts, typed, carbon copy typed, and photocopied typescript drafts of poems, articles, and novels by Lowry.
The writings include Davenport's handwritten biography of Lowry and his typescript preface to Lowry's novel, Ultramarine.
- 1926 - 1966
These materials are in English.
This material is open for research use by any registered reader. This material is housed off-site and will require advance notice of 1 business day for use.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Clarence Malcolm Lowry was born on July 28, 1909. He graduated from Cambridge University wtih a degree in English. He met and married his first wife Jan Gabriel in 1934. He lived in the United States, Mexico, and Canada and wrote short stories, poetry and several manuscripts. He was an English author who was known for his books Ultramarine," and "Under The Volcano." He had a drinking problem and died on June 26, 1957.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Collection shelved at off-site storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Brophy, Brigid, 1929-1995
- Butts, Mary, 1890-1937
- Davenport, John Lancelot Agard Bramhall, 1908-1966 (Collector)
- Dick, Kay, 1915-2001
- Dinesen, Isak, 1885-1962
- Gillatt, Penelope, 1932-1993
- Honor, Tracy, 1915-
- Lawrence, Frieda, 1879-1956
- Lowry, Malcolm, 1909-1957 (Author)
- Lowry, Malcolm, 1909-1957 (Author) -- Correspondence
- Lowry, Margerie Bonner, 1905-1988
- Manning, Olivia Mary, 1908-1980
- Murdock, Iris, 1919-1999
- Nesbitt, Cathleen, 1888-1982
- Novelists, English -- 20th century.
- Poets, British -- 20th century.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Lowry, Malcolm.
- Davenport, John Lancelot Agard Bramhall, 1908-1966 (Donor, Person)
- John Davenport collection of Malcolm Lowry, 1926-1966
- Milissa Burkart
- 1993 April
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA