John G. Ellinghausen papers, 1910-1961
Scope and Contents
Series 1 consists of letters and legal documents relating to oil producers (primarily Wilson Petroleum Corporation, Tulsa, Oklahoma), as well as letters from colleagues and financial institutions (primarily City Bank, Kansas City, Missouri). The correspondence relates to a variety of legal suits, claims, and oil and gas leases, filed by various companies and individuals seeking payment owed them by the Wilson Petroleum Corporation following the death of its owner, Hiram C. Wilson, in 1929. The correspondence and documents date from 1910 to 1932. Legal documents and correspondence relating to specific legal suits and/or claims are filed under the name of the plaintiff (e.g., plaintiff Harman C. Carmichael vs. Wilson Petroleum Corporation can be found under Carmichael, Harman C.) Cross-references are given for multiple plaintiffs and defendants whenever possible. Groups of letters and documents to and from, or relating to, a specific person are filed by the surname of the company or individual.
Following the correspondence and documents are two miscellaneous files consisting of travel expense receipts, unused bank checks, well records, and unidentified notes, as well as three manuscript notebooks containing Ellinghausen's court case notes and opinions.
Series 2 consists of correspondence between Ellinghausen and book dealers, collectors, government agencies, and historical societies, including 22 letters between Elinghausen and Grant Foreman exchanged during 1948-1949, and 2 letters to/from Marie Ellinghausen and art restorers. This correspondence dates from 1924-1961. Also included are newsletters, advertisements, personal notes and book lists, all relating to Ellinghausen's collection of southwestern Americana.
- 1910 - 1961
Conditions Governing Access
Use and Copyright
3.5 Linear Feet (7 boxes.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- American Petroleum Company
- City Bank (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Continental Refining Company
- Craig-Gould Coal Company
- Cross-Widdell Engineering Company
- Eastern Oil Company
- Echo Oil and Gas Company
- Ellinghausen, John G. (Creator)
- Ellinghausen, Marie (Correspondent)
- Foreman, Grant, 1869-1953 (Correspondent)
- Foster Oil Company
- Fuller Oil and Gas Company
- Meridian Petroleum Corporation
- Petroleum industry and trade -- Case studies.
- Petroleum industry and trade -- History.
- Pure Oil Company
- Shell Oil Company
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Ellinghausen, John G.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Petroleum.
- Summit Oil and Gas Company
- Templeman Oil Corporation
- Wilson Petroleum Company
- John G. Ellinghausen papers, 1910-1961
- Milissa Burkart
- 1992 February
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 US US