Ku Klux Klan (KKK) collection, 1923-1995
Scope and Contents
- 1923-1936, 1995
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
The Klan was first established in 1865 by Confederate veterans as an attempt to resist Reconstruction. They had disappeared by the late 1870s. In 1915, a second Klan was established as a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. It flourished through the 1920s, reaching its peak in the mid-1920s, before fading away through the Depression era and WWII.
In Tulsa, begining with its original swearing-in of members in August 1921, the Klan was extensive during the late 20s hey-day, even sporting both a children's program and a women's auxiliary.
The appearance of the name of Tulsa attorney Robert Hudson in the membership ledger confirmed long-standing rumors of his Klan membership. This lead to efforts to change the name of the Robert Hudson Chapter of the American Inns of Court, one of two Tulsa chapters of this national bar organization. The Hudson chapter debated this question at its videotaped meeting of 17 January 1995, having provided its members with considerable background information on the Klan in Tulsa dfuring the 1920s.
4.00 Linear Feet : 3 boxes, 4 oversize boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- American Inns of Court. Robert Hudson Chapter
- Bennard, George
- DeRee, Alvia O.
- Hudson, Robert D.
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- )
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ) -- History -- Oklahoma -- Rituals
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ) -- History -- 20th century.
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ). Tulsa Chapter
- Racism -- United States -- History.
- Right-wing extremists -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Social movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Ku Klux Klan.
- United States -- Race relations.
- Ku Klux Klan (KKK) collection, 1923-1995
- Milissa Burkart
- Description rules
- Language of description
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 US US