Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
An act to define the status of freedmen and their descendants now resident in the Cherokee Nation and who were slaves in the country at the commencement of the rebellion, approximately 1881
Photostatic copies of documents pertaining to claims filed at Fort Gibson and Tahlequah offices of the Commissioner to the Cherokee (Indian Territory) regarding reservation, pre-emption, improvement, spoliation, and other such claims. Claims were filed between January and April 1845 when the commissioner was instructed to close the offices and return to Washington. The offices were established to examine claims of the Cherokee Nation against the United States under the treaty of 1835-6.
Eastern Cherokees in North Carolina letter from the Secretary of the Interior in response to resolution of the House of February 25, 1882, relative to the lands and funds of the Eastern Band of North Carolina Cherokees.
Report prepared in the office of H. Price, Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "May 11, 1882.--Referred to the Committee on Indian Affairs and ordered to be printed." This copy is imperfect: pages 20-54 and maps lacking; pages have been separated and pasted onto sheets of legal-size writing paper with extensive handwritten notes throughout.
Unconquerable: The story of John Ross, Chief of the Cherokees. Typed manuscript with handwritten corrections of John Oskison's unpublished biography of John Ross, Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1828 to 1866. Together with the manuscript is a check for 25 dollars from J.B. Milam to John Oskison dated 1943, presumably in payment for the manuscript.
- Cherokee Indians -- Claims 2
- Cherokee Indians -- History. 2
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Cherokee Indians. 2
- Cherokee Indians -- Biography. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Government relations. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Land tenure. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Social Life & Customs 1
- Cherokee Indians. 1
- Cherokee Nation 1
- Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians 1
- Freedmen -- Indian Territory -- History 1
- Freedmen -- Relations with Indians 1
- Indians of North America -- Indian Territory -- History 1
- Indians of North America -- Indian Territory -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Indians of North America -- North Carolina 1
- Slaveholders -- Indian Territory 1
- Slavery -- Indian Territory 1 ∧ less
- Oskison, John M. (John Milton), 1874-1947 1
- Price, Hiram, 1814-1901 1
- Ross, John, 1790-1866 1
- Tellason, John 1
- United States. Congress (47th, 1st session : 1881-1882). House 1