Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents The DeWitt Lipe - Cherokee Strip Papers consist of autographs, autograph transcriptions, and typescript letters and documents of DeWitt Lipe, Treasurer of the Cherokee Nation. In general, the papers related to the Cherokee Nation's taxation and licensing requirements of Texas stockmen who grazed cattle on Indian lands west of the Arkansas River, known as the Cherokee Strip, on their way to the Kansas stockyards. Also included in the papers are various acts and resolutions relating to the...
Dates: 1870 - 1913
Eastern Cherokees in North Carolina letter from the Secretary of the Interior in response to resolution of the House of February 25, 1882, relative to the lands and funds of the Eastern Band of North Carolina Cherokees.
Identifier: E99.C5-U53 1882
Content Description Report prepared in the office of H. Price, Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "May 11, 1882.--Referred to the Committee on Indian Affairs and ordered to be printed." This copy is imperfect: pages 20-54 and maps lacking; pages have been separated and pasted onto sheets of legal-size writing paper with extensive handwritten notes throughout.
- Cattle trade -- West (U.S.). 1
- Cattle trails. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Claims 1
- Cherokee Indians -- History. 1
- Cherokee Strip (Okla. and Kan.) -- History 1
- Chisholm Trail. 1
- Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians 1
- Indians of North America -- North Carolina 1
- Jesse Bartley (J. B.) Milam papers. 1
- Oklahoma -- History. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Milam, J. B. 1
- Texas -- Ranching. 1
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs. 1 ∧ less
- Charles Apfelbaum Rare Manuscripts and Archives 1
- Cherokee Nation, Oklahoma 1
- Lipe, DeWitt Clinton, 1840-1916 1
- Milam, Jesse Bartley, 1884-1949 1
- Price, Hiram, 1814-1901 1