Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Scope and Contents This is an account of a fifteen day trip by horse and wagon from Mulberry, Franklin County, Arkansas, to Arkansas City Kansas by C. T. Wells and companions. There is a mention of George Perryman, a few places recorded, and some brief descriptions of various Indian agencies and the appearance of the country, forests and prairies; for example it does indicate the appearance of the prairie around Muskogee had not changed much between the 1830s’ and 1878.
Dates: 1878 - 1879
Scope and Contents This eleven page letter, written on June 18, 1836, to Adj. Gen. R. Jones, from Fort Coffee, discusses the situation of the troops in Arkansas Territory.
Scope and Contents These papers consist of a miscellaneous collection of material including some correspondence of Col. Return J. Meigs, Senator Harlan, President Grant, Col. Stand Watie; documents regarding sale of two slaves from the James Vann (1811) estate; names entitled to draw in land lottery of Gold Region in Georgia (1832); Old Settlers' Council Proceedings (1838-1865), and a list of 119 Old Settlers' names. There are Sequoyan documents and notes on his syllabary, a map of New Echota, and a Brainerd...
Dates: 1804 - 1871
Scope and Contents Much of the collection consists of business papers of all sorts, many reflecting the various aspects of traffic in slaves, and has some giving information as to the cost of living over a long period of time. They also reflect the financial difficulties of cotton raisers and cattlemen. There are legal documents of all sorts, family letters, social invitations, and tribal matters ranging from trivial claims of individuals to matters pertaining to the tribe as a whole versus the U. S....
Dates: 1812 - 1916
Scope and Contents In this collection there is only one original item: the agreement of the “Old Settlers” Council to follow him, with certain stipulations, to set up his press at the forks of the Illinois. Instead Worcester located the press at Union Mission where there was a building available. After little more than a year’s time, it was moved to Park Hill.The remainder of the collection, dated from 1831 to 1868, consists of typescripts and Photostats of letters from his wife, Ann; his daughter...
Dates: 1831 - 1868