Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Scope and Contents This collection contains twelve letters written by Rumsey Bissell Marston just prior to and during his deployment to France and Great Britain during WWI to his father, mother, brother and sisters. Additional items in the collection are: his military service record, a photograph, a drawing, and the envelopes in which the letters were sent.
Dates: 1918 - 1919
Scope and Contents Small journal, kept in a German pocket notebook, with handwritten entries by George W. Saldo while en route to and in France during the final months of the war; entries continue for several months following the Armistice. George W. Sadlo served as Musician 1st Class in the HQ Band GHQ (Chaumont, France), the 133rd Infantry Band, and the the 4th Infantry Band. Other items laid in includ 2 b/w snapshots of military bands on the march; postcard from Amra McDowell addressed to Geo. Sadlo...
Dates: 1918 - 1921
Scope and Contents Memorial Day Program, May 30th, 1918; Honor Roll and Service Flag Chart of the Village of Sag Harbor, Long Island, NY, bearing the name of Helen T. Slate handwritten at top; a small flag with 2.5 inch red border surrounding a cream-colored rectangle with a blue star at its center; and a miniature French flag.
Scope and Contents Pocket diary of Captain Leo McCusker (US Army, HQ Troop, 4th Div) dating from May 6 through September 26,1918. The diary begins with McCusker's boarding ship for England. It continues with excellent detailed descriptive accounts of battles (including September 25th battle on Hill 304), German bombing and shelling raids, the elaborate German dugouts, dead and wounded on the battlefields, prisoners of war, etc at and near the Front in France. It also includes his experiences in various French...
Scope and Contents Series of 159 black and white photos, most with captions, printed on card stock, most taken between June 1917 and April 1919. Images include scenes of men as they enlist at the Fairgrounds in Detroit; views of the exterior and interior of the barracks at the Fairground in Detroit; scenes of the men enroute to Europe; scenes of thei engineers' work and activites while in France; and scenes of their return trip to the States.
Dates: 1914 - 1919
Scope and Contents A broad range of subject matter depicted in 238 snapshots. Subjects include ground-based weaponry (French, German), observation balloons and Zeppelins (American, German); aeroplanes (German, American); naval vessels and ferries; ruins (France, Belgium, Germany); soldiers. Also among the collection are approximately 81 snapshots from a later period, circa 1935, of barracks, airplanes, airports, etc.
Dates: 1918 - 1935; Majority of material found within 1918 - 1919
- World War, 1914-1918. 5
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Diaries 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives -- United States. 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Photographs. 2
- Armed Forces 1
- Special Collections -- Ephemera -- Slate Helen T. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Sadlo, George W. 1
- Special Collections -- Photographs -- 16th Engineers, U.S. Army 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Aerial operations, American 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Aerial operations, German 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Correspondence. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Germany 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Manuscripts 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Naval Operations, British 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Naval Operations, United States 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives 1 ∧ less
- English 5
- Multiple languages 1
- Powers Rare Books 2
- Tavistock Books 2
- Byrnes, Ben 1
- Charles Apfelbaum Rare Manuscripts and Archives 1
- Marston, Rumsey Bissell, 1895-1964 1