Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Scope and Contents Correspondance of Aubrey C. Ross, a chaplain who served with the Y.M.C.A. through the Army's 79th Infantry Division during World War I. In addition to the 104 letters exchanged between Aubrey and his wife, Laura L. Ross, during World War I, the collection includes correspondance between Ross and various members of his immediate family from 1903 to 1970. The majority of the Rosses were Missouri farmers, and even Aubrey, who lived in New Yok until the 1940s, held a deed to farmland in Missouri....
Dates: 1903 - 1970
Scope and Contents Contains many of the letters of Charles G. Clement home during the first part of his time in the army. Also contains materials noting his mother's search to discover where he was buried and the 1930 Pilgrimage of War Mothers and Widows to visit his grave. There are also some letters to her younger son, Dennis.
Dates: 1913 - 1962; Majority of material found within 1916 - 1919
Scope and Contents World War I diary, written by Denton E. Brome Jr., beginning on approximately September 14, 1917 and ending on August 17, 1918. The diary chronicles Brome's duties as a Navy Corpsman stationed in France. Subject matter includes the daily duties of hospital maintenance, wound clean-up, and patient care, as well as excursions from the hospital to tourist sites, restaurants, and other hospitals. The diary is 200 pages in length with 20 pages containing full diary entries and numerous other...
Dates: 1917 November 27 - 1918 July 14
Scope and Contents Letters and photographs from Earl C. James to his mother, Emily James, and sisters Gwynneth James and Daisy James, describe basic service training at Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas, and his service overseas, where he was assigned to Battery F 5th, Field Artillery. Photocopied correspondence between the U. S. Army and the James family discusses the soldier's death 1919 April 21 and return of his body from Germany to the United States. Earl Jones was killed in a motocycle accident, in Simmern,...
Dates: 1917-1921, undated
Scope and Contents Letters and other materials from Edwin Conroy, 29th Division. The collection contains a personal account of being gassed, writing a letter from a shell hole, and so on.
Dates: 1918 - 1919
Scope and Contents Ermon Stewart died of influenza which he contracted on the ship while being transported to England. The collection includes Ermon's letters to his mother, a letter from Aunt Maggie to Kate Stewart (his mother), a letter from Kate Stewart to Ermon Stewart, and documentation (concerning his death, his persoanal effects, burial, war risk insurance, and re-burial) from the War Department, American Red Cross, American Legion, Treasury Department, and the American Expeditionary Forces Knights of...
Dates: 1918 - 1920
Scope and Contents Diary of Henry Fairfax Ayers. Diary embossed on cover H.F. Ayres Lt. Col. V.C.A. U.S.A. Includes 3-ring binder of extensive research from Virginia Military Institute. There is a copy of a war time picture of Ayres in the binder, as well as a photo of the painting of Ayres done by Norman Rockwell. There is also a complete hard copy transcription of the diary.
Dates: 1918 - 1979
Scope and Contents Handwritten letters and postcards with envelopes. Campbell served in the 302nd Engineers, 77th Division.
Dates: 1917 - 1919
Content Description Miscellaneous collection of World War I letters, some service record materials, and personal papers.
Dates: 1917 - 1941
Scope and Contents Collection of maps, letters, photographs, and burial records
Dates: 1898 - 1932
- Names: Byrnes, Ben X
- World War I Collection. 16
- World War, 1914-1918. 13
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Correspondence. 10
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives -- United States. 6
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Photographs. 6
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Diaries. 5
- Special Collections -- Photographs -- World War, 1914-1918. 3
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France. 3
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Manuscripts. 3
- Armed Forces. 2
- Postcards -- World War I. 2
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- World War, 1914-1918. 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Maps. 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States. 2
- Brest (France) -- History. 1
- Medicine, Military -- France. 1
- Military chaplains -- United States. 1
- Military hospitals. 1
- Orléans (France) -- History. 1
- Photography, Military. 1
- Postcards. 1
- Special Collections -- Diaries -- Singleton, Jouett Fitch. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Ayres, Henry Fairfax. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Brome, Denton E. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Campbell, Howe. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Clement, Charles G. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Creamer, Ralph B. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- James, Earl Ceedric 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Stewart, Ermon 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Travilla, Thomas H. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Ward, Rholie 1
- St. Mihiel (France), Battle of, 1918. 1
- Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Photographs. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Canada. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Death and burial. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Medical care -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Russia. 1 ∧ less