Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents Letters from Benteen, senior captain under Custer in the 7th Cavalry at the Battle of Little Big Horn, to Theodore W. Goldin, a private in “G” troop at the same battle, criticizing Custer’s private live as well as his military tactics in battles.
Dates: 1891 - 1896
Scope and Contents These letters and newspaper clippings deal mostly with the famous "Battle of the Little Big Horn", and one letter concerns a horse named "Don Juan." There are photographs of Custer and his horse, "Comanche.""Interesting items: A telegram from Gen. G. A. Custer to Lawrence Barrett in New York. Barrett was th e famous Shakespearean actor and an intimate friend of Custer. The wire is dated March 4, 1876, St. Paul Minnesota, and reads, "We start to meet Sitting Bull tomorrow-will reach...
Dates: 1865 - 1876
Scope and Contents Consists of the source materials collected by Robert Bruce while researching his book, The Fighting Norths and Pawnee Scouts: Narratives and Reminiscences of Military Service on the Old Frontier. (Lincoln, Nebraska: Nebraska State Historical Society, . Materials dating from before 1900 are comprised of photographs or photostats of original materials obtained by Bruce during the course of his research. Included are original and photostat copies of correspondence between Bruce and Luther...
Dates: 1863 - 1950
- Names: Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876 X
- Helmerich Center for American Research at Gilcrease Museum. 2
- The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives 1
- Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876. 2
- Cheyenne Indians -- Wars, 1876. 1
- Dull Knife Battle, Wyo., 1876. 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- West (U.S.). 1
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1866-1895. 1
- Pawnee Indians. 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1864. 1
- Scouts and scouting. 1
- Slaves -- Emancipation -- United States. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Bruce, Robert. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Cheyenne Indians. 1
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Pawnee Indians. 1 ∧ less