Rowland C. Taylor WWI archive, 1914-1918
Scope and Contents
Includes a flight log book, a detailed diary of his POW experiences, and various photographs, service documents and POW ephemera.
- 1914 - 1918
- Taylor, Rowland Cecil (Person)
These materials are in English.
This material is open for research use by any registered reader.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Lt. Rowland C. Taylor, Royal Warwickshire Regiment & No. 3 Squadron, RFC. Artillery Observation Pilot & Prisoner of War, 1917-1918. Taylor was educated at King Edward's School & enlisted in the 1st Birmingham City BN, 14th (S) BN Warwicks in 1914. He was subsequently commissioned in the 6th Warwicks and transferred to the RFC in 1916. He completed pilot training and joined No. 3 Squadron in France on 12/4/17. He flew contact patrols and artillery observation sorties (comunicating with batteries on the ground) almost daily (& often more than once a day) until 6/11/17 when, his fuel exhausted, he was forced down behind enemy mines in his Sopwith Camel. He was then a POW until repatriated in Dec 1918.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Collection shelved on 3rd floor.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Great Britain. Army. Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Great Britain. Royal Flying Corps. Squadron, 3
- Photographs -- Germany -- Holzminden.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Taylor, Rowland C.
- Taylor, Rowland Cecil
- World War I Collection
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Aerial operations, British
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Diaries
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives -- Great Britain.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Photographs.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Prisoners and prisons, German -- Holzminden.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Prisoners and prisons, German -- Ingelmunster.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Prisoners and prisons, German -- Karlsruhe.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Prisoners and prisons, German -- Landshut.
- Rowland C. Taylor WWI archive, 1914-1918
- Milissa Burkart
- 2010 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA