Ben Byrnes collection of Denton E. Brome, Jr. WWI diary, 1917-1918
Scope and Contents
World War I diary, written by Denton E. Brome Jr., beginning on approximately September 14, 1917 and ending on August 17, 1918. The diary chronicles Brome's duties as a Navy Corpsman stationed in France. Subject matter includes the daily duties of hospital maintenance, wound clean-up, and patient care, as well as excursions from the hospital to tourist sites, restaurants, and other hospitals. The diary is 200 pages in length with 20 pages containing full diary entries and numerous other pages containing tipped in ephemera such as photographs, newspaper clippings and illustrations from printed sources, a map of the area where US Hospital #1 was located, train tickets and luggage tags, letters and souvenir postcards, lists of food items, theatre programs, miniature cloth flags, etc.
- 1917 November 27 - 1918 July 14
- Brome, Denton E. (Author, Person)
This material is open for research use by any registered reader.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Denton Egbert Brome Jr., born 23 Sept 1887; from Rutherford, N. J.
Served as a Navy Corpsman in France during WWI.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
All tipped in items have been removed, labeled as to their original page location, and foldered separately, and described in the General Notes field.
Collection shelved on 3rd floor.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Brest (France) -- History.
- Brome, Denton E.
- Medicine, Military -- France
- Military hospitals.
- Orléans (France) -- History.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Brome, Denton E.
- World War I Collection
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Diaries
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Medical care -- United States
- World War, 1914-1918.
- YMCA of the U.S.A.
- Ben Byrnes collection of Denton E. Brome, Jr. WWI diary, 1917-1918
- Britni Pelton; Amy Ziegler; Milissa Burkart.
- 2011 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA