Harold Leventhal proletarian archive, 1885-1978
Scope and Contents
This archive, and its accompanying library, were acquired by Guy Logsdon, then Library Director, in 1977. It is ascribed to Harold Leventhal, who was a folk music manager, handling such musicians as the Weavers, Woody Guthrie, Peter, Paul and Mary and Joan Baez. This archive includes an selection of correspondence of the noted activist Ammon Hennacy as well as biographical materials.
- 1885 - 1978
- Majority of material found within 1902 - 1975
- Leventhal, Harold, 1919-2005 (Compiler, Person)
This material is open for research use by any registered reader.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Harold Leventhal was a folk music manager handling such musicians as the Weavers, Woody Guthrie, Peter, Paul and Mary and Joan Baez.
3 Linear Feet (2 document boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Collection shelved on 3rd floor and 5th floor oversize shelves.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- African American women political activists
- Anti-fascist movements -- United States
- Capitalism -- Social aspects.
- Child labor -- United States.
- Freedom of speech -- United States -- History.
- Income distribution -- United States
- Intellectual freedom -- United States
- Political parties -- Platforms.
- Political poetry, American.
- Political prisoners -- United States -- History.
- Proletariat in literature -- Periodicals.
- Protest songs.
- Racism -- United States -- History.
- Racism in popular culture.
- Socialism and society.
- Strikes and lockouts -- California
- Strikes and lockouts -- Coal mining -- Colorado
- Strikes and lockouts -- Motion picture industry -- California.
- Tax evasion -- United States.
- Technological unemployment -- United States -- History.
- Unemployment -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- White supremacy movements -- United States
- Harold Leventhal proletarian archive, 1885-1978
- Matthew Stenberg; Amanda Vestal; Milissa Burkart
- 2006 September, rev. 2017 December 4; rev 2020 Feb
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-03-05: 2006.003.1: Leventhal proletariate archive: Eliminated series divisions and filed all items alphabetically by subject or title; remove some items that were originally from other collections (not Leventhal).
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA