Joe Randolph Ackerley - Patricia Murphy correspondence, 1951-1968
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of 68 letters, half of which are from J.R. Ackerley to Patricia Avis Strang Murphy the wife of Anglo-Irish poet Richard Murphy. The other 34 letters, addressed to Patricia, are from mutual friends of Ackerley and Murphy, which include Kingsley Amis, Dan Jacobson, Patrick Kavanagh, Bruce Montgomery, Edna O'Brien, Brian O'Nolan, Honor Tracy and Richard Murphy. Included with the collection is a lengthy essay prepared by Colin Franklin, which discusses Ackerley, his home life, his friendship with Patricia and Richard Murphy, and their work.
- 1951 - 1968
- Murphy, Patricia Avis Strang, 1928-1977 (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This material is open for research use by any registered reader. This material is housed off-site and will require advance notice of 1 business day for use.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box) : 67 letters (129 pages)
Language of Materials
Collection shelved at off-site storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Ackerley, J. R. (Joe Randolph), 1896-1967 (Correspondent)
- Amis, Kingsley William, Sir, 1922-1995 (Correspondent)
- Authors, American -- Correspondence
- Authors, English -- 20th century -- Correspondence
- Authors, Irish -- Correspondence
- Honor, Tracy, 1915- (Correspondent)
- Jacobson, Dan, 1929-2014 (Correspondent)
- Kavanagh, Patrick, 1904-1967 (Correspondent)
- Montgomery, Bruce (Correspondent)
- Murphy, Richard, 1927-2018
- O'Brien, Edna, 1930- (Correspondent)
- O'Brien, Flann, 1901-1966 (Correspondent)
- Poets, English -- Correspondence.
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Ackerley, J. R.
- Joe Randolph Ackerley - Patricia Murphy correspondence, 1951-1968
- Milissa Burkart
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA