Paul Henry Giddens collection of Pennsylvania Oil Region photographs, 1847-1949
Scope and Contents
Consists primarily of photographic reproductions (some with photo-negatives) plus a small number of original stereoscopes. The images feature scenes of the northwestern region of Pennsylvania--most were used to illustrate the book, Early Days of Oil, by Paul Henry Giddens. Images include: maps of the region; scenes of oil farms and drill sites, oil towns, refineries; drilling methods and equipment; transportation methods, etc; Many of the photographic images and their negatives were reproduced from John A. Mather's original photographs currently housed at the Drake Museum in Titusville, Pennsylvania; the remaining images were reproduced from other sources.
- 1847 - 1949
Conditions Governing Access
This material is open for research use by any registered reader. This material is housed off-site and will require advance notice of 1 business day for use.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
2.5 Linear Feet (3 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Collection shelved at off-site storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
All items are B/W photo-duplications unless otherwise stated.
- Drake Museum. Mather Collection (Titusville, Pa.)
- Drake, Edwin Laurentine, 1819-1880
- Giddens, Paul Henry, 1903-1984
- Mather, John Aked, 1829-1915
- Oil fields -- Pennsylvania -- Photographs.
- Oil fields -- Production methods.
- Oil wells -- Photographs.
- Petroleum -- History.
- Petroleum -- Pennsylvania.
- Petroleum -- Prospecting.
- Petroleum -- Refining.
- Special Collections -- Photographs -- Giddens, Paul
- Paul Henry Giddens collection of Pennsylvania oil region photographs, 1847-1949
- Milissa Burkart
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA