Jean Rhys archive, 1920-1991
Scope and Contents
Jean Rhys (1890-1979) had two intensely creative periods in her career as novelist and story writer; the first from about 1920 to 1935 and the second from about 1950 until her death in 1979. Apart from her published work, few records of the earlier period are known to survive. This collection, while it includes some items from the earlier period, documents the second period in some detail. The collection, assembled from several sources, contains drafts of Rhys' work, substantial correspondence to, from, and about her, sound recordings, a variety of printed material, reviews, taped interviews, articles about her and editions of her published works. The correspondence includes letters from Francis Wyndham, Selma Vaz Dias, Olwyn Hughes, Oliver Stoner (E. Morchard Bishop) and Joan Forman.
- 1920 - 1991
- Majority of material found within 1949 - 1979
Use and Copyright
Biographical / Historical
15 Linear Feet (30 boxes, 1 oversized folder) : Shelved on 3rd floor, 5th floor Vault, 5th floor oversize racks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Andre Deutsch, Ltd. -- Correspondence
- Bliss, Eliot -- Correspondence
- Forman, Joan -- Correspondence
- Foster, Henry -- Correspondence
- Huggett, Colin -- Correspondence
- Hughes, Olwyn M. -- Correspondence
- Lenglet, Jean
- Litherland, Donna -- Correspondence
- Mortimer, Raymond -- Correspondence
- Novelists, English -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Plante, David -- Correspondence
- Rhys, Jean -- Correspondence
- Rhys, Jean (Author)
- Ronson, Robert H. -- Correspondence
- Ross, Jennifer -- Correspondence
- Smyser, Phyllis -- Correspondence
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Rhys, Jean.
- Stonor, Oliver -- Correspondence
- Vaz Dias, Selma -- Correspondence
- West Indies, British.
- Wyndham, Francis -- Correspondence
- Jean Rhys archive, 1920-1991
- Milissa Burkart
- 2005 March
- Description rules
- Language of description
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 US US