Jean Rhys archive
Scope and Contents
Manuscripts relating to colonial writer and author of Wide Sargasso Sea: drafts of stories, letters to, from and about her; sound recordings; reviews of her books; interviews with and articles about her.
Jean Rhys (1890-1979) had two intensely creative periods in her career as novelist and story writer; the first from about 1920 to 1935 and the second from about 1950 until her death in 1979. Apart from her published work, few records of the earlier period are known to survive. This collection, while it includes some items from the earlier period, documents the second period in some detail. The collection, assembled from several sources, contains drafts of Rhys' work, substantial correspondence to, from, and about her, sound recordings, a variety of printed material, reviews, taped interviews, articles about her and editions of her published works. The correspondence includes letters from Francis Wyndham, Selma Vaz Dias, Olwyn Hughes, Oliver Stoner (E. Morchard Bishop) and Joan Forman.
- 1920 - 1991
- Majority of material found within 1949 - 1979
These materials are in English and French.
This material is open for research use by any registered reader. Physical access to the exercise notebooks is restricted, however photocopies have been provided.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts, photographs, recordings, etc. are under copyright to the the original producers or their heirs. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Jean Rhys (August 24, 1890 - May 14, 1979), was born Ella Gwendolen Rees Williams in Roseau, Dominica.
15 Linear Feet (30 boxes, 1 oversized folder)
The collection has been artificially organized into four series: Series 1: Writings, Series 2: Correspondence, Series 3: Photographs, and Series 4: Personal papers.
Shelved on 3rd floor, 5th floor Vault, and 5th floor oversize racks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Andre Deutsch, Ltd. -- Correspondence
- Bliss, Eliot, 1903-1990 -- Correspondence
- Forman, Joan -- Correspondence
- Foster, Henry -- Correspondence
- Huggett, Colin -- Correspondence
- Hughes, Olwyn M., 1928-2016 -- Correspondence
- Lenglet, Jean (Willem Johan Marie), 1889-1961
- Litherland, Donna, 1927-2006 -- Correspondence
- Mortimer, Raymond, 1895-1980 -- Correspondence
- Novelists, English -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Plante, David, 1940- -- Correspondence
- Rhys, Jean, 1890-1979 -- Correspondence
- Rhys, Jean, 1890-1979 (Author)
- Ronson, Robert H. -- Correspondence
- Ross, Jennifer, 1916-2003 -- Correspondence
- Smyser, Phyllis -- Correspondence
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Rhys, Jean.
- Stonor, Oliver, 1903-1987 -- Correspondence
- Vas Dias, Zelma, 1911-1977 -- Correspondence
- West Indies, British
- Wyndham, Francis, 1924-2017 -- Correspondence
- Jean Rhys archive
- Milissa Burkart
- 2005 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA