Perry Douglas Erwin WWI-era letters, 1918-1919
Scope and Contents
Perry Douglas Erwin was a soldier during World War I who was stationed at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma. During his time as a lieutenant in the 9th Field Artillery during World War I his wife wrote to him nearly every day. The Erwin letters, dating January 1918 through January 1919, consist primarily of (173) letters from Erwin's wife, Vivian (living in Oswego, Kansas) to Erwin (stationed at Fort Still, Oklahoma and other locations); other correspondents include Erwin's sisters Harriet, Dorothy, and J.E.F.; Erwin's mother and father; Margaret Wyndham, a Henry Kendall College student-later-faculty member. There is also one letter from Erwin to his parents. (6) Unidentified photos accompany Vivian Erwin's letter of 3 May 1918. Other non-correspondence includes a howitzer bag tag, a receipt for $45 stamped Boyd's Post Exchange Annex, a mimeograph copy of "Extract from Notes on Recent Military Operations (No. 2 G.H.Q. A.E.F.)", and cartoons and articles clipped from newspapers.
- 1918 - 1919
- Erwin, Perry Douglas, 1893-1964 (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This material is available for use by any registered reader.
Use and Copyright
This material is owned by the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections. Unpublished manuscripts are under copyright. Therefore, permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from both the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Perry Douglas Erwin was a resident of Tulsa, and his wife, Vivian Frances Cretors was a graduate of Henry Kendall College (class of 1916).
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection shelved on 3rd floor.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Erwin, Perry Douglas, 1893-1964
- Erwin, Vivian Frances Cretors, 1893-1969
- Henry Kendall College (Tulsa, Okla.)
- Special Collections -- Manuscripts -- Erwin, Perry Douglas.
- Special Collections -- Photographs -- Henry Kendall College.
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Regiment, 9th
- World War I Collection
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Correspondence.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Photographs.
- Wyndham, Margaret Jane, 1872-1961
- Perry Douglas Erwin WWI-era letters, 1918-1919
- Under Revision
- Milissa Burkart
- 2007 May
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the The University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections & University Archives Repository
University of Tulsa
2933 E. 6th St
Tulsa 74104-3123 USA