Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Eastern Cherokees in North Carolina letter from the Secretary of the Interior in response to resolution of the House of February 25, 1882, relative to the lands and funds of the Eastern Band of North Carolina Cherokees.
Identifier: E99.C5-U53 1882
Content Description Report prepared in the office of H. Price, Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "May 11, 1882.--Referred to the Committee on Indian Affairs and ordered to be printed." This copy is imperfect: pages 20-54 and maps lacking; pages have been separated and pasted onto sheets of legal-size writing paper with extensive handwritten notes throughout.
Scope and Contents Correspondence and personal papers consisting of correspondence between Milam and various individuals, and national and local organizations and institutions, as well as the U.S. Interior Department Bureau of Indian Affairs and various members of Congress. Although some of the material dates from as early as 1906, the preponderance of the correspondence relates to Milam’s activities and responsibilities as Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1941-1949. Included in this series are...
Dates: 1925 - 1950
- Cherokee Indians -- Bibliography. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Biography. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Claims 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Finance. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Politics and government. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Treaties. 1
- Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians 1
- Indians of North America -- North Carolina 1 ∧ less
- English 1
- Multiple languages 1
- Chandler, Zachariah, 1813-1879 1
- Delano, Columbus, 1809-1896 1
- Price, Hiram, 1814-1901 1
- Smith, Edward Parmalee, 1827-1876 1
- Taylor, James 1